Friday, February 4, 2011

one thing i loved about having my baby at home: privacy

i am a very outgoing and extroverted person, but one thing i loved about having a home birth was privacy. my midwives really respected me and my space. i labored with just matthias most of the time with them checking on me every now and then. i was only "checked" twice. once at about 6 or 8 centimeters and again at 10. i had been sitting in the shower on the exercise ball for hours...right through transition i guess. the hot shower was my epidural!

when it was time to push, both midwives were there and made suggestions, but never were screaming push or do this or do that. i pushed standing up for a while and emerald crowned, but got pretty tired and laid on the bed on my side while matthias held my leg up and that's how emerald came out! the midwife simply "caught" her and laid her on my chest. i still remember that feeling. probably the most amazing feeling in the world. having my naked baby laid on my bare chest...oh the emotions. i then asked if it was a girl or a boy and they told me to see so i reached down to feel (lol) and i think matthias said it was a girl. WOOOOOOWW....i had no clue! we had planned to call her Lucy if she was a girl but i said...i just can't call her lucy!

the midwives suggested we take pictures (woops) and we did. since i had been in the shower, i was completely naked, so those pictures aren't really public. lol.

my midwives just let my brand new baby lay on me...didn't try to wash her or anything like that, just let us be for a while. loved that. no machines, monitors, IVs. just us in our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers