Tuesday, January 25, 2011

breastfeeding "fun" (a somewhat graphic post)

Here is a few fun and gross facts about me and breastfeeding:

-My daughter is 9 months and still breastfeeds day and night.
-I loveeeeeeee the breastfeeding hormones that make you feel so amazing, sleepy, relaxed. (Unless your breast is killing you, see below).
-I have had two lactation consultants look at me and say that my "injuries" were "some of the worst they have seen"
-I don't know if it is fair skin or genetics or what but I have had a harddd time with torn or injured nipples. The whole first two months I had open wounds.  :D
-Emerald got teeth at 4 months, top ones at 5 or 6 and unfortunately bit me a couple times. Open wounds take TWO.
-I have had my share of plugged ducts, thankfully to be resolved by a baby who LOVES to nurse!
-I just had my first bout with mastitis this past weekend. I thought it was the flu, then noticed red streaks and a swollen duct. Aha moment!
-I have nursed so many places: shoe isle at Wal Mart, restaurants, in church, in the nursing room at church, at coffee shops, on a walk, with family, with friends, airplanes, etc etc
-I plan on breastfeeding for at least around 2 years (Did you know that the World Health Organization recommends nursing for at least 2 years)
-Emerald is 9 months and I have not started my period back yet!! I blame that on all day, all night nursing.

Nursing little Em at the State Fair. Mom hiding her face!
I'll add more later if I think of it...

3 comments:

  1. LINDSAY! I love you and nursing too!!!

    Amos is teething - and I'm already dreading a boob bite!

    I've nursed everywhere tooooo! Amos is a pro at latching on in the dark under a blanket hahaha.

    I was gonna ask u if you had gotten your period yet. We want to start trying at the end of the year for number 2, but since I'll be breastfeeding still (God willing) - who knows if it will happen!

    I want to go to 2 years too, but I always tell people 1 year so I don't freak them out.

    LOVE YOU MAMA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read your comment! That is sooo incredible, and I'm sure Emerald is sooo thankful - in her little baby heart sorta way. :)

    I hate pumping though, so I rarely take the time to fill up a bottle and have yet to make any storage of milk for "just in case"...

    haha so i pretty much nurse 24/7 too... but don't you just LOVE being the only one who can provide? I'm sure going to miss that when Amos starts solids.

    When do you think you'll start solids with Emerald? Have you already? I think I'm going to start later...

    ReplyDelete

Followers